Sunday, October 14, 2007

Regionals are over!

Phew, what a crazy couple of days! DD is beside herself with joy. She actually finished 3rd in her group - first clean program she's skated, in competition, since June 2004. This allowed her to go to the final round. The final round appeared to be a bunch of worn out young ladies. DD decided to play it safe - go for the clean program. Turns out it paid off. She won. Got her favorite thing for it to... a trophy. Complains that there aren't enough trophies in skating.

What bothered me the most: NASTY parents and coaches. Standing there looking at the results for the first event, a well known coach said (not really to anyone in particular, but I just happened to be standing next to her) "I can't wait for the new judging system, this judging is not fair". How should I feel about that? Maybe I shouldn't have taken it this way, but the fact that her skater finished 4th to DD's 3rd made me feel like it was directed at me.

Then there's the parent, when the results from the final round were posted this morning, that my daughter overheard "whoever put that skater in first was psycho".

Holy cow! And we wonder why kids are learning to be such bad sports?!?!?

Fortunately, in all this, there were a lot of great parents, and coaches that had nothing but wonderful things to say to dd. And getting to hang out at the pool Friday night with 2 of her skater friends was an added bonus.

Will post pictures/video when I get a chance.

2 comments:

renecarol said...

Congrats again!!! Can't wait to see the video. I am so sorry we didn't get to go. I don't think Lexie would've been prepared for regionals this year though. This whole season has been so incredibly stressful for her. So for that reasons I'm glad we didn't go this year. But sorry I missed seeing your Lexy get a trophy.. wooo hooo again.

Taoknitter said...

Yay, Lexie! Good for her! And you are so right about kids learning their bad sportsmanship from parents and coaches...and teachers. Hold on to the good stuff!

I LOVE the pic of her at the top of your blog. Great photo.

And glad to see your are posting...I have been coming to see if you have because I enjoy your posts. I like reading about something other than ID!

Cheers!