Thursday, March 06, 2008

Time to Rant

Wow, yesterday was the day from HADES! All of those balls I had up in the air, came crashing down on me. Apparently 2 months of working until 10pm (or midnight at times) and getting up at 4:30 have taken their toll. Thank goodness for my friend Pamprin!

It all began last Saturday at DD's Irish Dance show. DD is a VERY intense child. Takes everything she does very seriously. She's hard on herself when she makes a mistake, and expects everyone around her to be the same. Well, during this show her partner (who has been dancing less than 1/2 the amount of the 7 years DD has been) messed her up - forced her to turn the wrong way, with her back to the audience. If looks could kill, the poor girl would be six feet under. But that was it, the thundercloud disappeared as fast as it arrived. Unfortunately one of the owners of her dance school caught it, asked what was wrong - so, stupid me, I pointed out the problem DD is having with dancing with such an inexperienced dancer. You wouldn't believe the storm that came down on me.

I received an email from the owner - in it she said, "I have reflected a little further on the issue with *** and her apprehension for dancing with various partners... The reason for my follow up, is *** may not be suited to show class and its team nature. We would understand if *** decided not to take show class next school year."

I was floored, to say the least. Shot back a polite, but scathing email in response. This issue of problems with various partners, etc... news to me! As far as I know, this is the first time.

Unfortunately, for me, DD really likes participating in the shows - doesn't want to dance if she can't do the shows.

So, worked through that one - it appears to be cleared up as of today, but I will continue to watch it.

Then, fast forward to last night. DD had a figure skating test. She was testing Novice moves for the second time. She was ready the first time, but didn't pass. Skated a BETTER test this time, STILL didn't pass. The funniest part is that a judge that sat on both panels, scored her lower this time than last - indicating (at least in my mind) that she skated a poorer test. I was angry! Our best guess is that at 11, DD doesn't LOOK the part of a Novice lady - so she has no business even taking this test. Nevermind that her skills are passing. Heaven forbid figure skating should be even a LITTLE bit less subjective.

My biggest concern was making sure DD realized that I was NOT mad at her, she said, "I know mommy - it's the fricking judges". I lost it, laughing SO hard.

Sometimes kids can be SO precious!

1 comment:

renecarol said...

What a gorgeous dress. She looks so beautiful. I'm glad she is still getting to do the Irish Dance shows.
I had a thought about the Novice MIF. Could she take the test at a competition where there would be other judges? I know last year the Charleston Open had a test session that ran at the same time as the competition. Could something like that be a possibility? Surely 11 year olds pass Novice Field moves - at least some of them do. And if she can do the moves clean. Argh that would tick me off.